Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Effective teaching

To become a effective teacher, there are many different aspects that one must keep in mind. Effective teaching involves social and ethical matters and also involves working with multicultural students.Effective teachers must reach the needs of every student in his or her classroom no matter what culture or ethnic group the students come from. Teachers cannot expect students with different background to just adapt to our society. Teachers must master the subject matter that has to be taught, and have a firm grasp and be comfortable with the content.An effective teacher must use a range of different instructional strategies to capture the attention of their students. They must also have a structured classroom management with an authority voice and use goal setting/ lesson design to stay organized.  Motivation and communication skills are also needed throughout the classroom in order to be able to interact in a proper manner and be able to  keep the students engaged. In order for teachers to be effective they must inhibit these qualities along with many other qualities such as being a life long learner. It is important that teachers have the ability to learn and keep learning. They must want to learn and grow and respect the teaching profession.


Having said this, effective teaching can often be observed and praised. For example, I had never been good at math, but knowing that I wanted to become a teacher I knew I had to take math 30 pure. In grade twelve I was having a lot of trouble with math because of the heavy course load. I had told my teacher what I wanted to become in the future and that I needed math 30 but did not think I could pass . She took this into consideration and pushed me to succeed. She showed effective teaching by never letting me get negative and having faith in me. She spent some of her own time to make sure that I understood the learnt material which showed that she cared. She also gave me extra resources and support which helped to fit my needs.  She displayed all of these qualities of effective teaching and in the end she supported my future goals and helped me get to where I am today. She is an example of an effective teacher who cares and supports her students and in the future I strive to be an effective teacher and display qualities like she did with my students.

No comments:

Post a Comment