Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Erik Erikson

Erik Erikson (15 June 1902 – 24 May 1994) was a Danish-German-American developmental psychologist and psychoanilist known for his theory on social development of human beings.


Erik believed in eight different steps that cover the entire life span. Each stage is characterized by a developmental task which means each level is a new opportunity for growth. Here are the eight steps:


Step One: Trust vs. Mistrust (birth-1) 
-A child is born into this stage
-The child must build trust for the outside world in the stage
-It is important for the infant to experience warmth,love and care in order to learn to trust the people around them.
Step Two: Autonomy vs. Shame and Doubt (1-2)
-Sense of being independent 
-Worthy of being their own person
Step Three: Initiative vs. Guilt (3-5)
-Preschool years
-Feel initiative to take care of self ex) wants to brush their own teeth or put away toys.
Step Four: Industry vs. Inferiority (6-puberty)
-Want to do work and put themselves out in the world
-Elementary school stage
Step Five: Identity vs. Identity confusion (adolescence 10-20)
-Who am I?
-Trying different things to figure out who they are.
-Figuring out who or what they want to become
Step Six: Intimacy vs. Isolation (Adulthood 20's and 30's)
-Finding significant other
-Getting married
-Looking for a partner who is going to meet the needs of love and intimacy 
Step Seven: Generatively vs. Self absorption ( Middle Adulthood 40's and 50's)
-More then meeting personal needs
-The need to leave some sort of contribution to the world
Step Eight: Integrity vs. Despair (60-)
-Can Look back on life and be happy/ proud of it.
-No regrets 


 Looking at these steps, I believe that I am in-between step five and six. I believe this because I know what I want to do with my life, and who i want to become but I am not ready yet to get married or start a family. I hope that one day I will reach step eight and look back on my life with integrity not despair, with no regrets and know that I tried my hardest to be the best person that I could be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment